Monday, October 09, 2006

Something to Grok

Years ago, I read Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land and the phrase grok was introduced into my world. The word basically means to think or mull over the subject until you come to an understanding about it. Today, I read something I need to think about...it may relate to something I've been thinking about for a long time: Evangelicals Blame Foley, Not Republican Party

Where liberals tend to think of collective responsibility, conservative Christians focus on personal morality. “The conservative Christian audience or base has this acute moral lens through which they look at this, and it is very personal,” Mr. Dunn said. “This is Foley’s personal sin.”


I have noted a common thread in many leftist comments and actions that all relate to an adversion to physical courage. They seem to put more "status" in "speaking out" and relate this with many of the adjectives that are normally associated with physical courage. I'm still pulling vague strands together here, but I'm wondering if there is more to concider in this respect. Perhaps how each side reflects on responsibility may add a new dimension to my "groking" of this...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home