Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Disappointment and Persistance...

As I noted in my last post, there were some challenges ahead. Well, my score in leadership was lacking, and the Col. decided I should try again. After 8 and a half weeks at OCS, I was disenrolled with option to reapply. So what did I do? I reapplied the day after I got sent home, and have entered a package for OCC 195, the summer class.

I've stayed highly motivated and have maintained contact with many of the 2Lts that were my squad-mates. I've recieved some endorsements from my unit...and more. My next drill, I'm being told that I will go in a day early to follow a small unit leader around for a day to see what my duties would be as a 2Lt. To say the least, I'm speechless. I didn't quite expect this much support after failing...but others tell me that the good attitude I've been doing my best to uphold has effected how others percieve me.

So the next board meets on April 16th or thereabout...and we'll see what happens after that.

Now what about that failing grade I recieved? Well, the leadership score is built around evaluations. In those evaluations, I was told that I had a lack of force in my command presence. This is partially because I'm a terrible liar. When I'm not sure of something, I usually will say so...and this isn't what they want in a leader (would you follow someone who acted like they didn't know what was going on into any life or death situation?). To nail that problem down, I've been reading up on small unit leadership and working on how I say things. Specifically, dumping language that involves the words maybe, somewhat, sorta, kinda...anything that points to a grey area. This combined with more "this is the way it is"-type force behind it should improve my command presence.

The big question rides on my workplace and how to work out a possible 8-week working period followed by an absence. I'm actually looking at a temporary position that might work perfectly...I'll keep you posted.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.o

8 1/2 weeks in, get dropped, and you're headed back? I do indeed admire your persistance.

Remember one thing concerning not being sure of something... you've got to find the difference between when it's essential that you admit you don't know (almost never) and when you say things like, "I am finding out now" or "We are training to learn that right now". You've also got to know and believe that a 60% solution executed quickly is better than a 100% solution executed eventually. No one is expecting perfect decisions, they're just expecting a decision to be made quickly.

Good luck, keep working hard. I'll see you down there.
Sgt S
OCC-195

08 May, 2007 06:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home