Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Clear thinking in an 18 year old...or lackthereof

I saw this story on CNN.com: Fan jumps from upper deck.

The game was delayed for four minutes in the eighth inning when an 18-year-old fan, Scott Harper of Armonk, N.Y., plummeted about 40 feet from the upper deck onto the netting behind home plate.

"That was the only exciting thing that happened today," Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said.

Harper told three friends he was sitting with that he was going to test whether the net would hold his weight -- and then he jumped, Det. Kevin Czartoryski said.

Obviously shaken after he landed, Harper sat with his head in his hands for a few moments before climbing on the net back up to the loge level as players watched and the crowd roared. He was hoisted over the railing and led away by security.

After the game, Harper was carted from the ballpark on a stretcher, his head immobilized in a neck brace, and taken to Lincoln Hospital for observation.

He was arrested, and Czartoryski said police expect to charge Harper with reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, criminal trespass and disorderly conduct.


"Lets bet my life on seeing if this net will hold be"...idiot. Well, at the least, he'll be up for a Darwin Runner up award.

I do like this comment, however:

"That was the only exciting thing that happened today," Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said.


Yes...and this reflects my feelings on major league baseball. Every game I have ever been to, I have been bored of the game and spend the whole time people watching. With racing, you are (almost) guaranteed to have a car going high speed...which is at least moderately exciting. Now that I've made all the baseball fans mad at me, I'll just go shut my trap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home