Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Toyota Recalls

As a fairly big fan of Toyota (my first car was a '91 Toyota Celica named Elsa - Rust in Peace), I was interested to see that they issued a recall. In fact it's the first recall I had ever seen from Toyota.

Toyota Motor Corp. has said it will recall about 880,000 sport utility vehicles (SUVs) and pickups worldwide, mostly in the United States, to fix a defect in the front suspension that could hamper steering.


Now recalls aren't terribly unusual...and I kinda prefer them, as I've witnessed the results when there's a known issue, and they don't recall it. Our old Ford Aerostar caught fire in the garage because the wire insulation chaffed away and caused a short near the alternator. It was an exciting episode I'd rather not ever repeat. It was also listed as a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)...but never recalled. Recalls cost money, however, they may save you some customers in the future. As for me, I'm very wary of purchasing a Ford or Chrystler product. I'll probably stick with Toyota, Mazda, or Nissan for the time being.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home