Sunday, November 26, 2006

Whata weekend

Sarah and I had busy Thanksgiving weekend. It all started with a PFT...with 100 crunches, 13 pullups, and a 22:32 run, I was pretty pleased...just wanted more on the run. That gave me a 238. The fun part was with Sarah, who accompanied me. Still kicking around the idea of joining the Officer reserve program, she put out a highly respectable 264.

Next up was the 8-hour drive to OKC. Fun stuff. We had an interesting Thanksgiving dinner...but definately had good food.

On friday, we went to the gun range and shot a variety of weapons. Among them my Glock 23C. Being the first chance I had to shoot it, I was somwhat apprhensive...but after a couple shots, I was very pleased. It didn't have too much recoil, but I'm confident it would stop any would-be aggressor.

I finally got a chance to shoot my father-in-law's AK-47. Definately fun. The 7.62 rounds do kick a hair more than the M-16's 5.56, but it's still plenty fun to shoot, and plenty accurate for short ranges. The big surprise for me was how much Sarah enjoyed herself (and a plesant surprise that was). She liked the AK and how "in control" she felt with it, though she didn't like how the Glock kicked. She wants some more time with the Glock, but said she really enjoyed the AK.

I've told her several times, if she joins, I'm purchasing an AR-15 (civillian version of the M-16). Pity the fool who tries to break-in our home.

Saturday was my father-in-law's birthday, so we threw him a party. Especially interesting for me was talking with 2 Vietnam-era Marines. Trading boot camp stories was particularly fun...and educational. The biggest lesson? Marines...in the last 40 years, have changed little.

That leads to today and our drive back. We have work tommorrow, but I think we are both looking forward to our Christmas break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home