Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Off Grid

I saw this article on another blog dealing with windmill technology and how it's becoming cheaper. I very much disagree with the author here:

Ecological concerns, more than cost savings may drive many new residential turbine installations. “People want to reduce their carbon footprints,” Mr. Tonko said. “They’re concerned about climate change and they want to reduce our reliance of foreign sources of fuels.”

Mr. Schwartz, the editor, said that even with the economic benefits, it can take 20 years to pay back the installation cost.

“This isn’t about people putting turbines in to lower their electric bills as much as it is about people voting with their dollars to help the environment in some small way,” he said.


For myself, I'm very interested in going "off grid" or selling power back to the power company. It has nothing to do with being "green." It has far more to do with my independence. The libertarian leanings in me derive much from the idea of being self-sufficient. That whole "rugged individualist" thing drives a lot for me.

Back to the subject. I like the idea of using solar panels and windmills to pump my home full of electricity and provide a source of extra income. Would I do it right away? Probably not. Like all technology, I'll be waiting for it to come down in price.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2299302,00.asp

29 May, 2008 12:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home